Signs and portents
Lady of the Flowing Red, Guardian of Dolithor, Shield Maiden to Hyvrik, Protector of the Brave, The Unwilling Warrior, The Lady of Paladins.
Larani is the deity of chivalry, the good goddess of battle and the reluctant warrior. Dwelling in the Land of the Mighty in the fortress of Dolithor, she occasionally leaves her kingdom to her constable, Mendiz, to walk among men. Followers of Larani display courage, compassion, and unimpeachable honour. Larani is the lady of chivalrous knights. Although combat for the sake of honour is permitted, as is tilting according to the rules, serious or mortal combat is to be indulged in with reluctance. Her loyal adherents are loath to take life if there is an honourable alternative.
Almost all of Larani’s lay adherents and many of her clerics are warriors of some ability. On rare occasions, Larani loses her patience and appears to men as the terrible Lady of the Flowing Red. In this guise, she bears her awesome ancient symbols: Avarkiel, her mighty battlesword; Hyvrik, her red and white checkered shield; and Angcaradina, her blood-red mail.
The pontiff of the Church of Larani is the abbot or abbess of Tengela in Trierzon; he or she is also a powerful secular lord. The seat of the Laranian primate of Hârn is in Thay. On Hârn, two principal clerical orders worship Larani, each of which sponsors its own lay fighting order. There is no real philosophical difference between the orders; they exist partly to provide a degree of competition for honour in time of peace and partly for geographical reasons. The orders are:
The following pages detail the saints, books, groups, and other items of note to this religion.
The Order of Hyvrik and the Checkered Shield confine their activities to western Harn, The Spear of Shattered Sorrow and the Lady of Paladins to the east. The ritual garb of the clerics varies according to circumstance and need, but the favoured colours are red and white.
- The knightly order of the Checkered Shield; fighting order of the Order of Hyvrik.
- The priestly order of Hyvrik; priestly order of the Checkered Shield.
- Knightly order of the Lady of Paladins; fighting order of the Order of The Spear of Shattered Sorrow
- Priestly order of the The Spear of Shattered Sorrow; priestly order of the Lady of Paladins.
The following religious books are found in the various chapter houses, abbeys and personal collections of the faithful.
- Book of Alamire. A common book describing the faith to the faithful.
- Worship of god. A common book among the priesthood, describing the basic rituals required of the position.
- Alamirata (high mass). Held once every 5 days (typically the 2nd, 7th, 12th, 17th, 22nd, and the 27th).
- Soratir (lay mass). Held once every 10 days (typically the 5th, 15th, and the 20th).
- Feast of Saint Abrathas. Held yearly on the 15th of Larane.
- Bandages of Saint Amberthane A holy relic held by a friend
- Setara of Setha Heath
- Knights of Tirth. The knights that found the idea of chilvary to the faith.
- Saint Ambrathas Of Alamire. The founder of the Order of the Lady of Paladins
- Saint Aedan of Chison. The saint of Chendy Abbey
- Saints of Larani A general list of the saints of the church.
- Pontifs of Larani Taken from the HRT, a list of all the pontifs of the church.
|Titles In The Laranian Church|
|Turintesa||Clerical Order Grandmaster|
|Chabla||Fighting Order Grandmaster|
|Valaran||Master of Acolytes|
|Suloran||Master of Archives|
|Obasaran||Master of Secular Affairs|
|Menoran||Master of the Fighting Order|